Another great rib recipe. These have a really rich, intense and beautiful flavour. The meat literally falls from the ribs.
- 1lb pork spareribs
- 1½ pints stock
- 5 tbsps soy sauce (even amounts of dark and light soy)
- 3 garlic cloves, made into paste (see hints and tips)
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbs hoi-sin sauce
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs teriyaki sauce
- For this recipe you can either use the ribs whole or cut them into small pieces to serve as a starter. Using a cleaver, chop the ribs into 2 inch sections or ask your butcher to do this for you. Deep fry the ribs and drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the ribs and simmer un-covered for about an hour until cooked and the sauce has reduced until it is thick. remove the ribs and store them and the sauce until ready to use. The ribs can be eaten hot at this point or allow them to cool and store in the fridge, covered until they are to be re-heated.
- When the coals have reached the optimum cooking point, quickly barbecue the ribs until re-heated. meanwhile bring the sauce back to the boil and reduce until thick. Serve the ribs while hot and either pour over some of the reduced sauce or serve it separately as a dipping sauce.