This is a quick and easy version of the classic North African dish. It can be served as an accompaniment and is also used as an ingredient in a few recipes on this site.
- 1 x 220g can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- squeeze lemon juice
- salt to taste
- red onions (optional)
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve some of the liquid from the can.
- Add all the ingredients except the onions to a food processor and blend to a smooth paste. Add some of the reserved liquid if you require a smoother result.
- Thinly slice the onions and caramelise with a little butter in a frying pan. Decorate the hummus with the caramelised onions or a few whole chickpeas.
- For a different flavour you can also blend the caramelised onions into the hummus mix.