This is a version of the Indonesian speciality, Nasi Goreng. It is normally made with beef and shrimps or prawns but I have left them out as it is intended as an accompaniment to be served along with a selection of barbecued foods.
2 - 4 people
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 red chilli ,seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 500g long grain rice
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 1 red onion, finely sliced and deep fried
- Rinse the rice in a pan repeatedly until the water is starting to run clear, this removes the starch from the rice. Add water to the pan until it is about 3 cm above the rice. Boil at a high heat until the water is almost disappearing from the rice and forming little craters. Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to the lowest possible setting and steam the rice for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and using a fork to separate the grains, spread onto a large plate. Allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs and the salt together until starting to froth. Heat a frying pan and brush with a little oil and pour in half the egg mixture, cook until it is starting to set then turn and quickly cook the other side to make a thin omelette, remove from heat and allow to cool. Do the same with the remaining egg.
- Roughly chop the first onion and place in a food processor along with the garlic, chilli, coriander, sugar and shrimp paste and blend to a smooth paste. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan or wok and fry the onion paste for 1 – 2 minutes until starting to cook and releasing its fragrance. If you wish to use prawns and shredded beef then you can add them at this stage and fry until cooked. Otherwise add the cooled rice and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes. Add the spring onions and soy sauce and stir fry for another minute. Roll up the two omelettes and thinly slice them. Add one half of the omelettes to the rice and stir through until heated.
- Serve in a large bowl and garnish with the remaining shredded omelette and the deep fried onions. You can also add some cucumber slices and shredded lettuce if required. Serve hot.