Preserved lemons are a great ingredient in Northern African cooking and very easy to make yourself. They give a fantastic lemon flavour to this rice which is ideal for serving with any spicy meat dishes or can even be enjoyed on its own. It is better to be made in a tagine but you can use a frying pan or a paella pan if you wish.
4 - 6
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1 large cup long grain rice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 preserved lemon skin with the pulp removed, finely diced
- 2 large cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Saute the onions and leeks in a tagine with the oil for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and saffron and saute for another minute.
- Add the rice and paprika and continue to cook for another five minutes then add the rest of the ingredients, stir once to mix and then cover the tagine with a lid. Turn the heat down low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Check the rice regularly to make sure it is not drying out and stir occasionally to stop it sticking to the dish.
- Serve hot.