The classic South African mixture of meat and fruit. A truly delicious recipe which has to be planned in advance but it is well worth the effort.
- Cut the lamb into one inch chunks and the pork into half inch chunks (approx 2.5cm and 1.5cm). Rub the inside of a bowl with the peeled garlic and add the lamb and pork pieces, season with salt and pepper and toss together.
- Heat the oil in a bowl and fry the onions until translucent and then add the curry paste and chopped garlic, fry for about another minute. Now add the vinegar, sugar, tamarind paste and jam, stir well. Stir the cornflour mixture and add a little at a time, continually cooking until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the mixture to the lamb, stir well and marinate in the fridge for two to three days.
The day before use, add the sherry to the apricots in a bowl and again allow to marinate in the fridge.
- Remove the meat from the sauce and thread onto skewers along with the apricots. Grill on a pre-heated barbecue until cooked, turning frequently. Re-heat the reserved sauce and serve with the cooked sosaties.
- Thanks to Funky Munky for permission to use this recipe.
lamb, pork, apricots, apricot, onion, onions, tamarind, garlic, barbecue