- 500 ml self raising flour
- 5 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 50 ml cooking oil
- Sift the flour and salt together. Break the egg in a 250 ml measuring cup and add the oil. Fill the cup to the 250 ml mark with a mixture of milk and water. Beat well.
- Mix the flour and liquid to a form of dough. Shape into little balls and flatten them with your hand.
- Bake the cakes for 12-15 minutes on a griddle over the coals, turning them once.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.
For a variation try using 170ml of beer instead of the egg, milk, oil and water. Cook on an oiled piece of foil laid on the grill.
Thanks go to Funky Munky for permission to use this recipe.