Another from our feature on inexpensive barbecues. You will be surprised at how delicious and succulent this dish is. The pepper sauce will keep in the fridge for a few days and can also be served as an accompaniment
a family of four
for the pepper sauce
- a selection of red and yellow peppers
- 1 clove garlic. sliced
- olive oil
for the chicken
- enough chicken goujons for four
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- pepper sauce
To make the pepper sauce:
- roast the peppers on the barbecue, turning regularly until almost blackened all over. Remove and place in a plastic bag or sealed plastic box until cooled. Remove the peppers and peel away the blackened skin. remove the top and the seeds. Place in a food processor with the garlic and blend. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a smooth sauce is obtained. Allow to cool.
- Marinade the chicken in a mixture of 1 tsp soy sauce, ½ tsp olive oil and ½ tbsp pepper sauce per goujon. Mix well and leave in the fridge for at least an hour. Thread onto skewers (pre-soak in water if you are using wood or bamboo skewers) and cook on a pre-heated barbecue, turning regularly until cooked through. Baste with the remaining marinade during cooking. Remember that you are using marinade which has previously had raw chicken in it so make sure that it is fully cooked through before consuming.
- Serve with some of the fresh pepper sauce.