- 4 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 – 8 basil leaves, finely chopped
- ½ – 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 – 6 slices of good bread such as a rustic french stick
- salt and pepper to taste
- Completely remove all the seeds from the tomatoes and finely dice. You can do this however you prefer. I like to cut the flesh all the way around the outside of the tomato, leaving the core and scrape away all the remaining seeds or you may prefer to quarter it and remove the seeds. Combine with the garlic and basil leaves and season to taste. Add the olive oil and mix thoroughly. Leave to stand in the fridge for at least an hour, even longer if possible. Remove and allow to return to room temperature before using.
- Quickly toast the bread over hot coals until golden on both sides. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and heap on the tomato mixture. Garnish with more basil leaves if desired and serve.