- 600 ml double cream
- 200 ml milk
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 200 gms sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- Combine 400 ml of the double cream in a pan with the milk. If you are using the vanilla pod split it lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the rest of the pod to the milk. Alternatively add the vanilla bean paste. Bring the milk/cream mixture to boiling point and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar and then place over a pot of boiling water making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Whisk continuously until the mixture has doubled in size and lightened in colour. Remove from the heat.
- Very slowly add the milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, mixing all the time. Return the mixture to the pan and bring back to the boil and then simmer gently for around 5 minutes until the mixture will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, place in the freezer for about 45 minutes. hisk the remaining cream until thick and then blend into the ice cream mixture.
- If you are using an ice cream maker, add the mixture to the maker and follow the manufacturers instructions until the ice cream is ready.
- Alternatively place back in the freezer. Remove roughly every hour and re-whisk until the ice cream is smooth and frozen. Place in the fridge for about an hour to soften before use – Enjoy!