Simple to make, roasted peppers are absolutely delicious and can easily be made with whatever selection of peppers you have in the fridge or larder, try making them with seasonal peppers for added flavour.
- assorted peppers
- a handful of garlic cloves
- sprig of herbs such as rosemary or thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Nothing difficult about this recipe. Simply pile everything onto a large piece of aluminium foil and drizzle with olive oil. For added flavour you can add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Pull the sides of the foil up and fold together then crimp the ends. Place the parcel on the grill and cook for around 30 minutes, turning occasionaly to prevent burning.
- Alternatively place the peppers etc., on a baking tray and cook in the centre of a barbecue prepared for indirect grilling or place in an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees. Cook for about 30 minutes until just starting to char. Remove the herbs etc., and serve hot or cold.
- The peppers are delicious sliced into a salad and the cooked garlic can be squeezed for a paste which can be mixed with olive oil to make a salad dressing.