This is an easy to make chutney to serve with a variety of dishes. The amounts here will make a small accompaniment for four people. increase the amounts proportionately if you require more. It is also delicious as a dip for a nice bread or tortilla chips.
- Olive oil for frying
- 1/2 large aubergine cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/2 pepper chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 4 spring onions
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 can chopped tomatoes
- dash worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- grated parmesan to taste
- seasoning to taste
- Fry the aubergines in a little olive oil until browned on all sides, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Now fry the peppers in a similar way and also drain on kitchen paper.
- Finely cop the white part of the spring onions and roll cut the rest. Fry the spring onion white’s along with the garlic for about 30 seconds and add the aubergines, peppers and spring onion greens. Add the rest of the ingredients except the parmesan, season to taste and simmer for about ten minutes until a chutney like consistency is achieved.
- Grate some parmesan into the mix and add a tablespoon of good quality olive oil, mix and serve.